Monday, July 27, 2015

Detroit Police Commission issues annual report

The Board of Police Commissioners, which is a civilian board mandated by the City Charter to oversee the Detroit Police Department, released their 2014 annual report. This report includes statistics regarding complaints that citizens have registered against police officers or the department in general. More importantly, it documents a 20% increase in the number of complaints filed

Of the 6,461 complaints filed against the Detroit Police Department in 2014, 3,838 - or approximately 59% of the total - were related to allegations that an officer did not follow established procedures or allegations related to his demeanor. The remaining 41% related to arrests made, entry into a property, damages made to property, searches, use of force, or general harassment.

I spoke with Ricardo Moore, who represents Warrendale and the surrounding neighborhoods on the commission, about this spike. He believes a large portion of this spike in complaints has to do a similar increase in news stories and social media posts about the police. He went on to add that body cameras will soon come to the Detroit Police Department.

The full text of this 58-page report from the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners is available below.

The report itself is fine. However, I believe it would have been useful if they provided some comparison with other departments of a similar size to Detroit.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Santana scares teens straight

For all the haters out there this special message is for you. Several months ago myself and my homie Raphael B. Johnson...
Posted by Harvey Santana on Tuesday, July 21, 2015
State Representative Harvey Santana posted this story to his Facebook page the other day. Please click "see more" to see the rest of this story. I think it is a great example of the power that we have to help teens turn their lives around.

My thanks go out to Santana and Johnson for doing their part.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Friends of Rouge Park to meet tomorrow

Rouge Park - Photo by Frank Nemecek
The nonprofit community group Friends of Rouge Park will hold their next general membership meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, July 21. This event will happen from 6 - 7 p.m. at the Don Bosco Center (9356 Westwood St.), which is just north of the Warrendale neighborhood.

The agenda for this meeting will include:

  • Updates from the City on the coming improvements to the Brennan Pools area and the National Park Service development of the new Stone Bridge Nature Trail;
  • Report from the latest meeting of the Detroit Parks Coalition;
  • Report on the ELCA Youth Projects in the park July 15-17;
  • Student Conservation Association nature trail and invasive removal projects in the park;
  • Updates on the DWSD bioswale project as well as the Tireman swale project; and
  • Report on the Butterfly Prairie Walk.
Everyone who is interested in the future of the largest park in Detroit is welcome to attend this meeting.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Work continues at Ryan Playground

Workers at Ryan Playground - Photo by Frank Nemecek
Workers installed new picnic tables and benches at the Lloyd H. Ryan Playground (5741 Faust St.) earlier today. This is part of the continuing efforts to improve a park at the southern end of the Warrendale neighborhood.

Trash cans and additional park benches are also being added throughout the playground.

This, in my opinion, is an important set of improvements to the Warrendale neighborhood.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Shooting at Auburn and Sawyer

Detroit Police on the scene - Photo by Bradley Alvin
According to the residents in the area, there was a shooting in the Warrendale neighborhood on Auburn Street, north of Sawyer Street, yesterday. The Detroit Police Department reportedly had the area cordoned off while they investigated this incident.

It's not clear whether or not there were any fatalities in this shooting.

Additional details will be posted as they become available.

Re-purposing scrap tires

Scrap tire planter - Photo by Frank Nemecek
It's frequently a challenge as to what one should do with all of the scrap tires that get dumped in our neighborhood. There's lots of them.

However, I love what one homeowner on Brace Street did with a half dozen scrap tires and some paint. With a little bit of innovation, these scrap tires went from yet another eyesore to an attractive flower bed on their front lawn.