|Yard Waste Waiting for Collection - Photo by Frank Nemecek|
The Detroit Department of Public Works will continue to collect yard waste placed in biodegradable paper bags or personal containers through early December (weather permitting). However, due to the high volume of bags of yard waste, DPW crews may not collect yard waste on the specified day or week that bags are placed at curbside. Residents should leave their bags at the curb until collected and will not be ticketed.
Residents are reminded that yard waste placed in plastic bags will not be collected. Citizens should place properly contained yard waste at the curb on their weekly collection day.
If yard waste must be disposed of immediately, residents are encouraged to take their yard waste to any of the 5 free DPW drop-off locations. Also, as of this past Monday, DPW has switched to their fall/winter hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. at its four drop-off locations. A fifth location, J. Fons Transfer Station, is open weekdays from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Residents can use the drop-off locations to discard bulk items, yard waste, tires (limit of 4), and recyclable items. These hours are in effect from now through the end of March.
- Southfield Yard at 12255 Southfield Service Drive is open Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.;
- Davison Yard at 8221 W. Davison is open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.;
- State Fair Yard at 19715 John R is open Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.;
- 5840 Anthon is open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.;
- J. Fons Transfer Station at 6451 E. McNichols is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
For more information, go to the City’s Web site at www.detroitmi.gov/dpw.